Early Years– Language skills and Reading for Meaning
The Story Talk resources are being updated so are currently unavailable.
SPECtacular STORY Talk® develops vocabulary, language and early comprehension skills. The playful interactive structure and resources help young children to ‘talk’ about books and explore the pages for meaning. Designed for teachers (cross-curricular resources) and families (workshop and interactive resources).
About Story Talk
The programme is designed for ages 3 – 6 yrs and for home and school use. A set of 4 durable interactive bookmarks provide very young children with a playful structure for talking about books and exploring the pages for meaning and enjoyment. The bookmarks are designed for use with both teachers and parents. Each SPEC bookmark has prompts and interactive features that gently introduce children to memorable reading and life-long learning skills that help them to:
Summarise – Retell the main points of the story
Predict – Guess what may happen next
Enquire – Ask and answer questions about the characters and what is happening
Clarify – Make sense of unknown words, images and ideas
Parents receive a picture book with their Bookmark Kit together with a series of workshops to help them to encourage their children to look, think, feel and search for meaning and ask their own questions.
The Story Talk bookmark kit
The ‘SPECtacular Story Talk’ interactive Bookmark Kit for use in the classroom and at home includes:
- 4 interactive book marks and sleeve
- Step-by-step instructions for use.
- Smiley Face Chart – for Spectacular Story talk moments.
The ‘Story Talk’ Book Kit can be used to explore any choice of book – fiction or non-fiction.
The full colour ‘Story Talk’ picture book retells the story of ‘Hansel and Gretel’ by award-winning children’s authors Mal Peet, Elspeth Graham and illustrator Vivien Martineau.
THE ‘FAMILY STORY TALK’ PROGRAMME includes:
- ‘SPECtacular Story Talk’ interactive Bookmark Kit.
- A quality picture book for each family.
- A ‘Story talk’ parent workshop power-point presentation with session plans and trainer guidance
‘Story Talk’ Family programme is delivered in school to parents/carers of children aged 3 – 6 yrs.
Introductory ‘Story Talk’ Inset for Foundation school staff (school and family home use) – see Training Consultancy
FOUNDATION ‘STORY TALK’ PROGRAMME (Reception, Year 1) – downloadable classroom resources include :
- Story Talk interactive Bookmark Kit per child + top quality picture books.
- Reading comprehension lesson plans, activities and posters – introduction to SPEC comprehension skills.
- Animated whiteboard slides to support story talk and use of Bookmark Kit.
- Cross-curricular lesson plans, activities and posters – using the Bookmark Kit to support ‘understanding’.
- Story Talk Teacher Guidance.
Introductory Inset for Foundation school staff (school and family home use) – see Training Consultancy