learning and enquiry across the curriculum’.
Judy Clark, Literacy Specialist & Primary Adviser for the National Literacy Trust
Think2Read is a social enterprise that
transforms readers and learners.
Strategic comprehension skills instruction
for all primary ages and abilities.
Effective whole-school approach
recognised by Ofsted.
question and make meaning for themselves.
30% improvement in reading skills
across primary schools within one year
92% in Year 6
A sustainable structure for developing young
children’s language, thinking and writing skills.
Shows EAL and struggling readers
how to read for learning and pleasure.
Call us on 01803 782440
Essential to the New Curriculum
A Whole School Research-based Approach to
Reading Comprehension Skills and Collaborative Problem Solving
(Also supports EAL across the key stages)
RECEPTION/KEY STAGE 1 (ages 4 – 6 yrs)
Effective structure for teaching reading for meaning across the curriculum.
- Playful interactive resources and ‘real’ picture books.
- Helps young children to ‘talk’ about books for meaning and enjoyment.
- Gentle introdution to essential comprehension skills.
- Family Reading Workshop resources to support home reading.
KEY STAGE 1 & 2 (ages 6 – 11 yrs)
Whiteboard resource teaches classroom team skills & shows all pupils how to:
- interact with each other respectfully using the ‘language of debate’ ,
- identify their own and recognise others’ strengths linked to specific team roles,
- work together collaboratively to complete a range of reading & problem-solving tasks.
- encourages confident team self-management and personal accountability.
KEY STAGES 1 & 2
ages 6 – 11 yrs
Tried and tested reading skills programme provides context for learning grammar and language structure. Shows all abilities how to:
- use the 4 key strategies to make meaning (Summarising, Predicting, Enquiry, Clarifying),
- identify, generate and answer their own literal, inference and evaluation questions about text,
- interrogate text in mixed ability reciprocal teams and self-assess their reading.
Baseline Comprehension Skills ASSESSMENT
Think2read’s Digital Comprehension Skills Assessment + Analysis
Identifies all pupil’s ability to use core comprehension strategies (summarising, predicting, enquiry & clarifying) and
literal, inference and evaluative questioning to support their understanding as they read from 4 – 11 years old.
(Correlates with new National Curriculum Assessment objectives for reading comprehension).
The first step if you want to establish independent learning and enquiry across the curriculum.
When teachers follow the Think2Read programme carefully and are fully committed to it, children make good progress in reading.
Think2Read fulfils most of the skills of the new curriculum in Wales because it asks children to summarise, predict, evaluate and make connections when they read text – in other words to understand, and enjoy, what they are reading.